Events and more...


See Coming Up tab at the top of the page for updates



Wednesday 27 November 2013

Brief Poetry UPDATE.... 5 things

1 - Reading List

This week, I've been doing most of my reading on the daily commute to work and other places, but it's slow progress (mainly because I keep falling asleep on the bus).

Right now I'm getting through a collection of Dub poetry and the Poetry Repair Manual. I've also just been lent The Bastard of Istanbul by Elif Shafak, so that's next on the list.

2 - Don't Stop this Game!

The last two gigs I've been to were pretty lively competitive events. Friday's Rap vs Poetry saw us pit words against alongside each other from the comfort of a boxing ring in the East End and I felt proper hardcore!

Last night, I checked in on 'I'm Sorry I Haven't Haiku', a competitive haiku game show evening, right on my doorstep in Camden. I never knew before that you could fit turtles, euthanasia and knitwear into 17 syllables, but the people on the two rival panels sure did try! And, feature guest James McKay delivered a few sharp haiku triptychs to round off the night. Crazy times.

3 - Next up



Speaking of crazy, and playfulness and game shows, I'm really excited about Tongue Fu vs Anti-Slam. As I'm writing, I'm preparing to resurrect my alter ego The Consciousness (that's Conscious Yes! to you, my Consciousation). It takes a lot of effort to deliver your worst... I'm also looking forward to see what the Tongue Fu band will bring to this night, which takes on the slam and parodies it in cruel ways, with clichés, stereotypes and hideously bad poetry stepping up onto the stage.

I also have Chill Pill's Xmas special on December 19 at the Albany, which is going to be awesome. Other projects in the pipeline too... More on these later! 

 4 - Hainault via Newbury Park...

Oh yeah, and I just noticed Amazon is now selling my debut mini-collection of poems. They make good Christmas presents, apparently (and there's even a Christmas poem included). I'm planning on publishing a full collection next year and will keep you posted.

5 - A tweet that made me smile

I've posted about my poem "Tell Me (what you believe)" a few times, including here back in 2011, because when I wrote it, I couldn't give a definitive answer to the question. But there are 12 year olds out there that can and it makes me smile to know that.

Short poem from a year 8 student in response to 'Tell Me' by




No comments:

Post a Comment