Events and more...


See Coming Up tab at the top of the page for updates



Friday 10 January 2014

Upcoming Gig... Stuart Hall Project! And synchronising...




Tomorrow, I'll be on a panel discussion with Njikdekah Iroh and David Neita - and performing a couple of poems, following the screening of The Stuart Hall Project at the BFI Southbank. More on the film here.

This will be the first time I've seen it and I can't wait to see what comes up in the conversation about Stuart Hall and the questions the film raises. I'm particularly interested in how we engage with Cultural Studies, whether as something strictly confined to academic circles, or as a useful tool for analysing and influencing societal interaction. Clearly the latter - and I say this after I spent the end of last year reading (far too much) about Lily Allen and then Beyonce (Hollie McNish's article last month was particularly interesting), and then seeing the intersectionality argument pop up again on Twitter, after some pretty vitriolic comments being served out by anonymous trolls. Certainly, there's a lot we can learn from how we represent age/race/gender etc. in mainstream culture. Pretending it doesn't matter isn't an option.

Btw, on a somewhat related note, I have a privilege score of about -190. Computer says so. (Check your privilege here if you're interested in oppression Olympics)


Updates: Synchronising

I'll be updating the rest of this blog page over the next few days, and starting to Tweet again. My Upcoming Events page is pretty much up-to-date - and I'll sort my What I'm Reading... panel and links soon. I'll also finish the highlights of last year before we've gone too far into this one ;)

Meanwhile, I'm about to do some writing and, meanwhile, listening to music on my new speakers. Happy Friday!




No comments:

Post a Comment