Events and more...


See Coming Up tab at the top of the page for updates



Saturday 3 January 2015

5 things: Reading

HAPPY NEW YEAR!! I'm back to work finally and posting again.

Been a while since I've done one of these posts, so here is…

5 things I've read over the Xmas break

1) Edwidge Danticat: Krik? Krak / The Farming of Bones

I'm now officially in love with this Haitian-American writer's work... It took me several days to pick up Krik? Krak! after the first story though; heartbreaking. The Farming of Bones, deals with the massacre of Haitians in the Dominican Republic, under dictator Trujillo's orders. I've studied this terrible part of history before, and stories like this need retelling... It shouldn't have been an easy read but the writing was so clear, I couldn't put it down.

Front Cover

2) Culture is Our Weapon: AfroReggae in the favelas of Rio - Patrick Neate and Damian Platt

I started this before my trip to Rio. It gave me a lot of insight into how grassroots projects can work; it was great being able to recognise some of the places mentioned in the book - and to see the effects people can have in an oppressive system. (After finishing it, I really want to go back to Rio right about now!)



3) More than Opium/ Jamaica Genesis... 

 

Both of these are pretty academic, heavy-going anthropological studies of Pentecostalism in the Caribbean and Latin America. I've officially begun to continue researching my novel, and it's leading me in unexpected places. I'm also busy using up the last of my Senate House library membership, now I'm no longer a student.

I haven't finished either of these yet... I have till Monday evening to return them!

4) Milena, and other Social Reforms



This, I'm taking my time to enjoy! Please watch out for more of Olja this year...

5) Ten - the New Wave (ed. Karen McCarthy Woolf)



Here are poems from the Complete Works II crew! Among them, some of my favourite poets, and also a couple of poets I'd not been aware of before. (And yes, I need to return it to the Poetry Library by Monday... I'll be buying a copy when I do)

***


So, I'm not sure if I'm going to do another list of 2014 highlights, as I have done for the past couple of years... If I decide not to break with this tradition, expect another post on Wednesday. Either way, I'll be updating a little, and posting upcoming gigs next week. Until then, happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment